Friday, July 25, 2014

Just to Clear Up Something.

Yeah is different from Yay.

Ya is different from Yeah.

Ya is different from Yay.

They all mean totally different things.

“Yeah” is commonly used for agreeing with someone in place of “yes” or “I agree”. It is also often used for answering yes or no questions although I don’t encourage that as it is very informal.

“Yay” is celebratory. It’s something people say when excited or happy. It means “I am excited!”. I associate it with parties and balloons and things I am looking forward to.

“Ya” means “get a move on, horse” and more commonly is short for “You” (or used to portray an accent for “you”). It does NOT mean “yeah”. No, no, no, no, NO. So, when you are writing and you say “ya” to mean “yeah” (NO)  you are really telling the person “you” or “get a move on, horse”. Which… probably has nothing to do with anything if you are answering a question or agreeing with someone.


Spread the word.

2 comments: